Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Mourinho, Sir Alex savour Madrid-United contest

José Mourinho says the world is waiting for a great Real Madrid CF v Manchester United FC game – which, for Sir Alex Ferguson, will be the acid test of his side's credentials.



José Mourinho is relishing the opportunity to renew his rivalry with Sir Alex Ferguson when Real Madrid CF host Manchester United FC in the first instalment of their round of 16 tie.
The Merengues coach has faced United twice before at this stage of the UEFA Champions League, with FC Porto in 2004 and FC Internazionale Milano five years later, and is savouring the build-up to an encounter he believes the world is "waiting for". Sir Alex concurred with his opposite number and regards the tie as the "acid test" of his side's credentials for a fourth European crown.
José Mourinho, coach
It won't be a disaster if we don't win the Champions League. There are some great teams and coaches who never won it. Real Madrid want to win their tenth [European] title and I want to win my third. I don't want to finish my career with two.
That the press room is full is indicative of what this match represents in the world of football. We are waiting for a great match – it's what we all want. Knowing English football culture and Sir Alex Ferguson, I can say they are also thinking about playing well. Tactically, we have worked very hard and know how we want to play.
We all enjoy these big matches. Every player wants to play [in them]. I could feel today that some players were a bit frustrated because they won't be starting tomorrow. The ones who will start are not anxious. They have what they want, which is to play in a big match.
We all want to play against big teams, big coaches and big players and Manchester United represent all of that. [I don't expect to replace] Sir Alex Ferguson as I believe we will finish our careers at the same time, him at 90 and me at 70.
I've had great players and Cristiano Ronaldo isn't more special than others in my heart. If we are talking about football, though, he is a player from another planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment